White Pine, and the world over, according to Carina: the ordinary is extraordinary. A day filled with events that we adults often overlook as nothing more than routine, mundane, and normal is cast in a completely different light when viewed through Carina's wide eyes: it is an adventure into Wonderland.

Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

From Christmas 'til Now = BlogFAIL...




Now, onto CURRENT events.

In preparation for Carina's birthday, I've been digging up recipes and 'how-to' sites for making festive and fun birthday cakes. I'm creative and have tried my hand at many crafts and ventures (lately I've been getting into crochet), but I've never really jumped into cakery. I'm all about frugality and being imaginative, but I just haven't been able to come up with a glorious homemade-version of a "butterfly" cake. I've had ideas and even watched a few videos online, but they just weren't what I had in mind. Fortunately for me, another kindred spirit had been feeling the same lackluster vibes as I had been from the do-it-yourself realm...


She decided to start her own site: The Cake Mistress. This is the one I am going to try my hand at: Butterfly Cake circa 1980 Women's Weekly Birthday Cake Book. Looks simple enough to cut, shape, frost, and decorate, however I will be exchanging the black licorice ropes for frosting. Unless of course Jared has anything to say about this cake because he will opt for the black licorice ropes = ewww. We'll see what I can come up with. And a photo for reference: 


 Again, I'm hopeful about the results. I'll sit down later and figure out which colors and candies to go with and I'll post pics of the finished cake! Yes, it's 2 weeks til Carina's actual 2nd birthday, but since we are going to Nashville this weekend we are having a joint birthday party for her and Poppy. Poppy LIKES butterflies, but I don't think he'd be thrilled about having a butterfly cake, so I am going to do a Harley-Davidson cake for him (he doesn't have internet, so I don't expect him to stumble up on this blog...), and it will look kinda like this one:


I hope and 'kinda' is the operative word here.

Thanks for not giving up hope on me. I've just been treading water lately...

1 comment:

Kristina Clemens said...

Wow...your family pictures are so heartwarming and beautiful...just lovely!
Kristina J.